Pages

June 07, 2015

Earning a University Degree

When I turned 50 years old, I found myself in a position to--finally--complete my four-year college degree. The first two years finished and paid for, I decided to do what I should have done when I was nineteen. That was two years ago and here I am 52 years old and graduating for Portland State University, Urban Honors College with my BS in Sociology. Some would wonder, why a research degree in Sociology?

The truth is that I looked at Journalism and the current lack of professionalism today and decided Journalism was not the kind of writing I wanted to do in my future. For some reason reporting facts has become pleasing shareholders, advertisers and catering to sensationalized stories of extremes. I am too old and to be honest want to write with more depth, insight and wisdom. Journalism and reporting have been excellent backgrounds for me. Becoming one of the first paid bloggers was exciting and interesting for me. In fact, my whole life experiences have led me to this place in life and now I would like to write what I want to write about.

I have two classes left to take and my Honors Thesis to write and present. I will take part in the only actual graduation ceremony in my whole life this Thursday. I will have my degree by September and I am excited about what this means for my future writing projects.

A Sociology degree is actually a very logical progression for a person with a journalism background. I have been educated in more in-depth interviewing techniques and have the academic authority to analyze the content of the interviews I conduct. My education and skills give me license to write ethnographically and to share my experience, insight and participation in life with qualitative research skills. My social connections and academic capital offer me access to professors and peers with abilities in areas I might be weak. I can actually write something that is legitimate, important and possibly worth the time and effort.

I am excited about the future of my writing and I am looking forward to spending more time on "MY" writing.


No comments: