Pages

July 29, 2008

Part 1: Converting to a Custom Domain with my Blogger Blogspot Blog!

Today I am working on converting a Free Blogspot Blog to a Custom Domain Blog. As I have been getting more and more talented with my blogging skills I decided it might be a good time to find out what taking it up another notch might do for me… Not only in terms of the SEO and Networking benefits, but just exactly how much work will it create for me?

A few days ago I started the process and while tinkering around in my Blogger Dashboard I went through the steps of setting up a paid Custom Domain name. I have been working on building another Blog that isn’t just about Adoption or any specific thing at all--but rather a Blog just for moms in general. A Mother’s Guide to Sanity -- so, far it is still very immature and has some real work to be done! So--it seemed like a great place to start my journey into Blogging with more then just the Free Tools.

It was a relatively simply process to complete and eventually I ended up with an email receipt for the $10.00 a year fee to Own my own domain name for my New and growing Blog. I decided that I would opt for the choice of ordering via Blogger instead of the long list of other steps it might take me to put it on one of my website hosting accounts -- Bravenet or Hostican. By choosing to order directly through my Blogger account the new URL is registered with GoDaddy.com which is a new sevice provider for me, however Blogger automatically takes care of some of the steps when I pick what they offer! And, $10.00 is a small price to pay for somethings!


Things appear to be working, and according to my Blogger Dashboard my site is in Transition! (Anyone who knows me -- knows how much I do not like Transmissions!) Right now I am being ever so careful not to make myself more work by doing anything else too dramatic.

I have let MyBlogLog.com know that this change is taking place as I noticed that the Graphic of the old site has disappeared from my Blog Sites list… After looking around in MyBlogLog.com account I found the advice to make the change which was to open a support ticket contact. So I am waiting for more follow up with how that goes!

The lucky thing for me is that I haven’t plugged this Blog into too many different places yet so any big problems I encounter may help me decided if I will ever want to do this again!

Today I will be trying to figure out if I have any problems with the Feedburner.com on this Blog. It does appear that I will need to change the feed and any “Subscribers” to it will need to also change. This is important information for me… As, I wouldn’t want to do this kind of dramatic change on one of my other more developed Blogs especially if there were a lot of subscribers. Lucky for me in this case, and for this Blog I suspect that the majority of subscribers I currently have, may be my own by way of places I have used it to create widgets and profiles for services that create widgets!

After I figure out how to change the feed I currently have with Feedburner.com then I need to figure out what I need to do in the Blogger settings or whatever in order to have the correct feed going to the right spots.

I also need to think about going into my Google Webmaster account and figure out how to make sure the OLD pages with the old URL don’t cause the New Pages with the New URL to look like duplicated content and cause a black-mark for the new URL right out of the gate!

Wow--It appears I have my work cut out for me this morning and it doesn’t even include much time to write! I will just have to squeeze that in… I will keep you posted on my networking progress so be sure to check back later!

1 comment:

De Anna Glendenning said...

As it turns out it appears everything transfered just fine with the Blogger accout! Which really makes me happy!

Anna